One Big Party?
In One Big Party, students learn about the role of political parties in the United States and the influence parties have in our political system, including the role of third parties. This lesson does not cover political party ideologies.
Use our mini-lesson Party Systems to teach students about the different kinds of political party systems that exist in countries around the world. (Party Systems used to be part of One Big Party but now stands alone.)
Got a 1:1 classroom? Download fillable PDF versions of this lesson's materials below! Or use our Google Slide and Pear Deck activities!
Love this lesson? Explore all of our free election curriculum and teaching resources at our Election Headquarters.
Partner Resources for this Lesson Plan include:
Students will be able to...
- Define “political party.”
- Describe the roles of political parties.
- Identify third parties and explain ballot access issues.
- Identify ways that political parties influence public policy.
- Distinguish between single-party, two-party, and multi-party systems.
- Explain proportional representation.
Resources for this lesson are available in print and digital form. A free teacher account is required to access them.
This Lesson Plan is included in the following units: