iCivics seeks a master educator to join a small team on a big mission: to revolutionize the way students learn about American government and civil society. As we plan to substantially enhance and expand our curriculum offering, we need a one-in-a-million social studies educator—someone who is both a gifted writer and an engaging teacher, and who is just as passionate about civics as we are. In our effort to bring an ever more inclusive and equitable civics curriculum to the forefront, we are actively seeking a candidate with the ability and desire to develop civics resources through an equity lens.
As a Curriculum Associate, you will join the iCivics Curriculum Team to develop new content for our ever-growing middle and high school curriculum. To thrive in this demanding position, you must be a top-notch writer with an excellent command of the English language and a talent for translating complex ideas into student-friendly terms using an engaging, conversational tone. You’ll also need to be full of creative ideas for developing learning activities and other curriculum resources, based on your experience in education. You should feel comfortable presenting content, curriculum, and instructional practices to other educators. Finally, you’ll need to be both self-motivated and able to work well with a team that always has so much to do in so little time.
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Who We Are
Founded by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, iCivics makes civic education relevant to new generations of Americans through online games and innovative classroom resources—for free! Our mission is to engage students in meaningful civic learning. Today, 160K teachers across the country use iCivics in their classrooms. We are committed to keeping our program relevant to young people and effective for teachers. Our holistic tech strategy ensures interactive content development and exceptional user experiences.
- Write content for new and existing iCivics resources
- Develop lesson plans, activity guides, digital resources, and other materials to meet specific learning objectives
- Facilitate professional learning workshops for educators, especially for school districts in Massachusetts
- Provide exceptional teacher support by responding to “iCivics Support” requests and communicating Curriculum Team interests to the Tech Team
- Represent iCivics at conferences and trainings, mostly in the greater Boston area
- Be a champion for teachers, students, civics, and active-learning strategies
- Other duties as assigned
Excellent writing skills, including the ability to do the following with ease:
- Use proper grammar and conventions
- Convey complex ideas in simple, straightforward language
- Organize ideas effectively within a written product
- Write in an engaging, conversational tone
- Maintain the iCivics voice throughout
- Demonstrated creativity in the following areas:
- Designing practical, classroom-based activities appropriate for middle and high school students
- Developing activities that make topics relevant to students and plant seeds for real-world engagement
- Producing polished and professional lessons, worksheets, and/or other classroom materials
- Working on projects involving new media (preferred)
- Proficiency in standards-based learning, with comprehensive understanding of the new Massachusetts grade 8 civics standards
- Broad and deep knowledge of civics and government, including state and local government in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Solid Internet research skills
- Ability to edit, revise, and provide constructive feedback to team members and freelance writers/educators
- Clear communication and interpersonal skills across multiple platforms
- Strong work ethic, dependable, highly organized
- Ability to quickly problem-solve, source answers, and achieve expert-level familiarity with new resources and tools
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and to work both collaboratively and independently among many competing demands
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- At least three to five years of teaching experience at the middle or high school level preferred
- Experience with and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite preferred
Please send resume and a curricular writing sample, such as a lesson plan, student reading, or other instructional resource to email@example.com. Please include your last name and the job title in the subject line of your email.
Unfortunately, due to the volume of application packages we receive, we are not able to make personal contact with individuals who are not going to be invited in for interviews.
If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you to schedule a convenient date and time.
This position will be based in Massachusetts. iCivics’ main office is located in the Inman Square area of Cambridge, MA.
iCivics does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or political or other viewpoint in making any employment decisions.