Careers at iCivics
iCivics has the following positions open:
Who We Are—iCivics
iCivics is a fast-growing civic education nonprofit located in Cambridge, MA. Founded by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, iCivics re-imagines civic education for American democracy. We champion equitable and non-partisan civic education, while providing engaging resources that empower educators in the critical task of preparing young people for lifelong civic engagement.
In partnership with iCivics, up to 9 million students learn about our government, the rule of law, and civic issues. We make civic education relevant to new generations of Americans through online games and innovative classroom resources available at no cost. Our reach is substantial: 145,000 teachers across all 50 states are registered with iCivics—and we are growing by leaps and bounds based on a 30% increase in just one year in teacher accounts and active users. Student engagement is at the heart of the iCivics story: our games have been played by students a staggering 148 million times.
But we're not only the leading provider of civic education, but also working to catalyze a movement to prioritize civic education in the United States and demonstrate its impact in sustaining and strengthening our nation's constitutional democracy.
iCivics has developed, along with many others, the Educating for American Democracy (“EAD”) Roadmap. We believe the roadmap offers a path forward for a divided nation. iCivics has developed a full year United States history curriculum that it plans to expand, implement and research. This position leads the implementation, support and impact of our curriculum.
About the Role—Senior Software Architect
The Senior Software Architect is a leadership position on the iCivics Software Development Team. The person in this role will be part of an Agile development team and contribute to iCivics’ website and education products.
- Lead architecture design and planning.
- Document code and architecture.
- Lead choosing technologies, frameworks, and libraries for implementations.
- Identify areas in code and technology stack for improvements and enhancements.
- Communicate the vision for code design and architecture to the team and leadership
- Mentor team members on new technologies and best practices
- Help lead Agile Ceremonies for standups, sprint planning, backlog grooming, sprint reviews, and retrospectives.
- Code reviews and pull requests.
- Participate in QA and testing activities.
- Other tasks as assigned by your manager.
- Mastery of coding and code design patterns.
- Mastery of Open Source tech stacks such as LEMP, ELK, Node.js, or Drupal.
- Mastery of cloud platforms and managed services such as AWS and Google Cloud.
- Mastery of deep understanding of DB technologies such as SQL and noSQL.
- Deep knowledge of data structures and coding principles.
- Deep knowledge of computing theory, scalability, security,and networking.
- Mastery of mobile application development.
- Mastery of HTML, HTML5, CSS, and other front end technologies.
- Can lead Agile and other production processes.
- Mastery of frameworks such as React JS.
- Mastery of debugging techniques and tools.
- Experience with data security and compliance in a regulated environment
- Experience using visual documentation tools like Visio or Lucid Chart
- Experience coaching and mentoring teams of engineers
- Self motivated and ability to discover and learn new technologies and methodologies.
- Ability to install and use common coding tools and IDE such as Visual Studio Code and Eclipse.
- Leadership and mentoring
- Vision for architecture and code design
- Ability to lead and manage the Software Development Lifecycle.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven track record of visionary architecture and code design
- Proven track record of delivering highly complex and highly scalable systems
- Good problem solving and prioritization.
- Organized and disciplined in approach to daily work.
BA or BS in Computer Science or similar degree. Masters degree is a plus.
iCivics was founded by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor in 2009 to ensure that all Americans have the knowledge and will to participate in our unique experiment in self-government.
Since then, iCivics has become the nation’s premier non-profit civic education provider of high-quality, non-partisan, engaging, and free resources to more than 9 million students annually, in all 50 states. That equates to the majority of our nation’s middle and high school students.
iCivics first-of-its-kind digital civic library includes more than 260 curricular resources, digital literacy tools, professional learning materials, and educational video games. And behind those numbers lie countless young people who now feel the weight of their civic roles and agency. Our engaging resources are proven to improve civic knowledge, skills and dispositions.
To apply, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.