The iCivics team is on a big mission: to revolutionize the way students learn about U.S. government and civil society. This is an exceptional opportunity for a hands-on leader to play a significant role in realizing this mission. The Deputy Director will report to and partner closely with the Executive Director and will be charged with strengthening and leading an effective, collaborative, and scalable operational model for the entire organization. S/he will be charged with leading the organization through its next phase of innovation and development, managing a three-person leadership team, and providing best-in class coaching and development. To thrive in this position, you will be resourceful, adept at thinking strategically, and able to translate plans into action. You must be excited about jumping into a growing team with a results-oriented, startup culture.
Who We Are
Founded by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor to reverse the decline in civic education and engagement, iCivics has become a leader in digital learning. We are a growing non-profit that develops innovative games, lesson plans, and other interactive resources to prepare middle and high school students for informed participation in American democracy. Our first generation product platform provides teachers with free resources aligned to standards, and has been recognized through awards from the MacArthur Foundation, Gates Foundation, Common Sense Media, and the American Library Association. We are committed to keeping our program effective and relevant for the more than 70,000 educators and five million students who rely on iCivics annually.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Collaborate with the Executive Director in solidifying vision, strategic plan and positioning; serve as a thought partner to the Executive Director and senior staff.
• Build an organizational planning function, modeling forward-thinking strategy.
• Translate strategy into operational plans and budgets; manage execution, accountability, and internal communications across the organization.
• Assess the organization's performance on an ongoing basis, enabling and promoting a culture of learning, continuous change and the drive to capitalize on emerging opportunities. People & Operations Management
• Manage a three-person leadership team: Curriculum, Web Development, and Finance & Administration.
• Facilitate cross-functional collaboration, improving processes, and managing teams towards results.
• Implement internal systems and processes to drive efficiency, effectiveness, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
• Coach and develop team leaders in recruiting, on-boarding, managing, and developing best-in-class staff members.
Programming and Technology Strategy
• Guide and implement programming and technology strategy for the organization.
• Support the Director of Programming in the design, implementation, and integration of digital resources.
• Determine project resource needs and arranges for the provision of these resources with the Executive Director.
Relationship Building & Stakeholder Engagement
• Support the expansion of iCivics’ impact and reach by working closely with the marketing and development teams; ensuring they have the resources and capacity needed to establish and maintain strong relationships with our teacher community.
• Engage with Board of Directors on as needed basis to ensure they possess an accurate understanding of iCivics’ people and operations work.
Desired Skills and Experience
Who You Are:
• Strategic, Creative Thinker— You quickly grasp education and technology trends and can relate those trends to organizational strategy.
• A True Team Player— You’re a leader who knows how to win the respect and trust of people throughout the organization. You possess an ability to articulate staff goals, are open to diverse viewpoints, and respond positively to feedback.
• Go-Getter—You’re a highly motivated and resourceful individual with strong people and project management skills. You are able to develop and manage long-term strategy while executing on short-term needs.
• Product Enthusiast—You believe that iCivics’ products will change educational outcomes for students nationally and you could not be more excited about this endeavor.
• World Class Project Manager—You are an experienced and detailed project manager who knows how to keep all of the pieces of a project moving on all fronts.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree required, master's in a field related to education or management preferred
• A minimum of 10 years of professional experience, including at least two years of management experience
• Experience at developing K-12 educational technology products with a focus on curriculum and instruction
• Affinity and experience with development of new digital innovation models
• Experience managing teams, with the ability and desire to motivate, coach, and develop staff
• Excellent planning and project management skills, with meticulous attention to detail
• Experience with financial and budget management
• Exceptional relationship management skills, with the ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders
• Entrepreneurial spirit, self-direction, and results-orientation, demonstrating initiative, resourcefulness, and follow-through
• Commitment to collaboration, transparency, and diversity
• Passion for the mission of iCivics; commitment to informing and engaging the next generation of citizens
What We Offer
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, iCivics provides an excellent compensation and benefits package competitive with positions requiring similar skills and experience. iCivics compensation and benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and generous paid time off, pre-tax transit program, and a friendly work environment. Our team members take ownership of results, and are civics and education enthusiasts. Successful team members demonstrate humility, strong work ethic, a sense of humor, and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
Send your resume, cover letter, and two relevant writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name and the job title in the subject line of your email. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, we are only able to make personal contact with individuals invited for interviews. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you to schedule a convenient date and time.
iCivics has offices in Boston, MA and Washington DC. This position will work out of Boston. iCivics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or political or other viewpoint in making any employment decisions.