The Great State
What do state governments do? In this overview lesson, students learn about state government structure, functions, lawmaking, and relationship with local government.
Updated 11/19/14. If you used this lesson before that date, please take a look at the new version.
Students will be able to:
- Describe the essential characteristics of state government.
- Identify the purpose of a state's constitution.
- Explain the impact of state agencies on citizens’ lives and property.
- Identify the role of initiatives and referenda in the state lawmaking process.
- Describe the role of state governments in providing services and regulating activity.