Covering everything from referendums to recalls, this lesson takes students to the voting booth and explains what they might see on a typical ballot. Students will discover how voters have the opportunity to initiate change in state and local government.
Does your state let kids under age 18 preregister to vote so they'll be all set when the time comes? Click here to find out about preregistration, which states allow it, and what the age limits are.
- Describe the typical process of registering to vote and what happens at the polling place
- Identify the types of choices voters typically encounter on ballots
- Explain the purpose and process of a typical recall election
- Compare and contrast the initiative and referendum processes
- Explain how initiatives, referendums, and recalls provide opportunities to initiate change in government policy
- Distinguish between different types of ballots.