Covering everything from referendums to recalls, this lesson takes students to the voting booth and explains what they might see on a typical ballot. Students will discover how voters have the opportunity to initiate change in state and local government.
- Describe the typical process of registering to vote and what happens at the polling place
- Identify the types of choices voters typically encounter on ballots
- Explain the purpose and process of a typical recall election
- Compare and contrast the initiative and referendum processes
- Explain how initiatives, referendums, and recalls provide opportunities to initiate change in government policy
- Distinguish between different types of ballots.