The Electoral Process
Take a peek into the electoral process- from party primaries to the general election. Students will learn the distinctions between the popular vote and the Electoral College, and exercise their critical reasoning skills to analyze the differences between the presidential and congressional elections. Students will also contrast the various nomination processes and learn about the role of party conventions in American politics.
Students will be able to...
- Describe the electoral process in primary and general elections.
- Compare the popular vote with the Electoral College as a means to elect government officials.
- Explain how a candidate can be elected without receiving the majority of the popular vote.
- Contrast primaries and caucuses as ways to nominate someone within a political party.
- Explain the role of local, state and national conventions in political parties.
- Identify key dates for national elections.