The Capable County
Students explore the many roles filled by their county government and the role of county governments in a federalist system. After a close examination of the county, students create their own fictional county! Students are familiarized with fun facts about county government and analyze the transition of county development through the lense of westward expansion.
This resource was created with support from the National Association of Counties.
Partner Resources for this Lesson Plan include:
Students will be able to...
- Identify counties as an extension of state government.
- Define Dillon’s Rule and Home Rule.
- Identify the organizational structures and duties of county government, including the names and functions of county officials.
- Identify the types of services counties provide.
- Compare counties’ revenue sources.
- Identify the effect of unfunded mandates on counties.
Resources for this lesson are available in print and digital form. A free teacher account is required to access them.
This Lesson Plan is included in the following units: