Step Six: Real World Policies
Building on the concepts of public policy, government action, and regulation from Step Five, students analyze real-world examples of government actions and regulations. Students get a taste of the wide variety of public policies that exist, and they learn how to evaluate a public policy idea for benefits and limitations.
This resource was created with support from the National Association of Counties.
The student will:
- Analyze examples of government actions and regulations using 5W+H.
- Explain how the real-life actions involve the government, groups, and individuals.
- Explain how both limit freedom and offer benefits.
- Evaluate each example for how far it can go to actually address the issue.
- Decide whether action or regulation is a better fit for the class issue.