Students grasp the nuances of diplomacy through this interactive lesson. They are called to decide which diplomacy tools work best in different situations. Students will develop an understanding of negotiation, sanctions, and other elements used in diplomatic relationships.
Partner Resources for this Lesson Plan include:
*Note: One or more of the activities for this lesson is not compatible with Kami viewer at this time. Be sure to check the “Download Resources” button below to use these activities.
Students will be able to...
- Define foreign policy.
- Distinguish between isolationism and internationalism.
- Explain the relationship between the national interest and U.S. foreign policy.
- Explain the role of the three branches of government in foreign policy.
- Make judgments about the effectiveness of various diplomatic strategies in a variety of situations.
- Distinguish between aid, sanctions, and military force as foreign policy tools.
Resources for this lesson are available in print and digital form. A free teacher account is required to access them. Log in or register below.