In Counties Work, students learn about local government by playing a county official responding to citizen requests. They will explore questions like:
- Are citizens making sensible requests?
- Which county department can best address a citizen's concern?
- Should taxes be raised or lowered to maintain a balanced budget?
- How will citizens react—and what's the best action when crisis strikes?
For English and Multilingual Learners: Use the support tool, Spanish translation, voiceover and glossary.
This game was made with support from the National Association of Counties. The Spanish translation and support for English and Multilingual Learners was made with support from the Jane Nelson Institute for Women's Leadership at Texas Woman's University.
- Simulate the role of county government, including organization, responsibilities, and services
- Identify appropriate resources and departments of county government to solve problems
- Consider how a budget and major sources of local revenue affect both services and citizens
This Game is included in the following units: