Do your students want to try their hand at running their own Texas county government? In Counties Work: Texas, they can! They will need to stay on top of resident requests as they develop the local community, make important budgeting decisions, and solve crises that pop-up along the way.
In Counties Work: Texas students will,
- Create their own Texas county, parish, or borough government
- Review and address Texan resident needs and requests
- Address community crises through strategic action
- Manage the annual budget through property and sales tax adjustments and spending choices
- Grow the community through expansion opportunities
For English and Multilingual Learners: Use the support tool, Spanish translation, voiceover and glossary.
This game was made with support from the Jane Nelson Institute for Women's Leadership at Texas Woman's University.
- Simulate the role of county government, including organization, responsibilities, and services
- Consider how a budget and major sources of local revenue affect both services and citizens
- Identify appropriate resources and departments of county government to solve problems