NewsFeed Defenders is a challenging online game that engages players with the standards of journalism, showing you how to spot a variety of methods behind the viral deception we all face today. Join a fictional social media site focused on news and information, and meet the challenge to level up from guest user to site admin. This can only be achieved by spotting dubious posts that try to sneak in through hidden ads, viral deception, and false reporting. In addition to maintaining a high-quality site, you are charged with growing traffic while keeping the posts on topic.
Also available for iPad and Android tablets!
The NewsFeed Defenders Extension Pack is now available! Make your students’ game play more meaningful with activities designed specifically for NewsFeed Defenders. This easy-to-use resource set means deeper learning for students and best practices around game-centered learning for you! Extension Packs require PowerPoint and are designed for use with projectors or interactive whiteboards. Find this great resource linked in the game page or in our lesson plans.
For the best play experience click Play Fullscreen to the upper right area of the screen.
- Identify markers of verification, transparency, accountability, and independence in news stories.
- Define and identify problematic news items, and other news-related types of misinformation.
- Explain a variety of strategies to verify images and information.
- Evaluate text for bias based on word choices and framing methods.
- Use third-party information to judge credibility of a source.