This Web Activity goes with the Monetization mini-lesson in our News Literacy unit. The activity is designed to give students hands-on practice and a deeper understanding of the concepts in the lesson.
Each slide includes a link and a set of questions. Use the companion worksheet in the Monetization lesson materials to give students a place to note their answers. (They can write them in the answer space on each slide, too, but there isn’t an easy way for you to download/compile those answers in My iCivics.)
- Whole-class option: Project the Web Activity in your classroom and work through the slides together as a class.
- Individual option: Allow students to work through the slides individually or in pairs.
Students will be able to...
- Recognize that news reporting is a business
- Identify the relationship between news and advertising
- Evaluate “native advertising” for deceptiveness