Trying Self Government
What was the new nation’s first stab at a written constitution? Find out about America's first written rules: the Articles of Confederation. In this lesson, students will learn about the Articles strengths and weaknesses as well as how it downfalls impacted the writing and ideas in the U.S. Constitution.
Got a 1:1 classroom? Download fillable PDF versions of this lesson's materials below!
- Explain the development and organization of the Articles of Confederation
- Describe government under the Articles
- Evaluate the strengths and wekknesses of the confederation government
- Identify key events that occurred under the Articles, including Shay's Rebellion and the Northwest Ordinance
- Summarize how the weaknesses of the Articles influenced the writing of the U.S. Constitution
Resources for this lesson are available in print and digital form. A free teacher account is required to access them.
This Lesson Plan is included in the following units: