State Legislatures (HS)
New High School Lesson! Students are introduced to the basic structure and function of state legislatures, as well as the variety in those structures. They will also identify elements of their own state legislative body, and take a stab at gerrymandering to see the impact of districting on election outcomes. A spotlight on representation models allows students to think about the pros and cons of the delegate and trustee models and where constituents fit into the conversation.
This resource was created with support from the State Government Affairs Council.
The students will be able to:
- Describe the structure and organization of the state legislative branch
- Explain the function of state legislatures
- Describe the legislative system in the student’s own state
- Explain the role of state governments in policy-making
- Explain the trustee and delegate models of representation
Resources for this lesson are available in print and digital form. A free teacher account is required to access them. Log in or register below.