Primaries, Parties, Caucuses & Conventions
A candidate has to pass a LOT of tests before anyone can actually vote for them for president. Introduce your students to the big events and mile markers of the electoral process and learn what a candidate must do before reaching the final test: the general election.
Got a 1:1 classroom? Download fillable PDF versions of this lesson's materials below!
Love this lesson? Explore all of our free election curriculum and teaching resources at our Election Headquarters.
- Describe the role of political parties
- Contrast primaries and caucuses as ways to nominate someone within a political party
- Explain the role of national conventions in the political process
- Describe the electoral process in primary elections
- Identify key dates for national elections