Comparing Constitutions: Ohio (HS)
What’s the difference between Ohio’s state constitution and the U.S. Constitution? And how are these constitutions similar? This lesson helps students learn the answer by letting them get hands-on with side-by-side excerpts from both constitutions. Students will compare and contrast the government structure, individual rights, and amendment processes outlined by each document.
Students will be able to:
- Determine how the Ohio Constitution complements the federal structure of government in the United States.
- Compare the state government defined in the Ohio Constitution with the federal government defined in the U.S. Constitution.
- Compare and contrast rights found in the Ohio and U.S. Constitutions.
- Compare and contrast methods for amending the Ohio and U.S. Constitutions.
- Consider Ohioans’ responsibilities to state and local governments.
Resources for this lesson are available in print and digital form. A free teacher account is required to access them. Log in or register below.