Civil War & Reconstruction
The Civil War and Reconstruction Era brought about the end of slavery and the expansion of civil rights to African Americans through the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments. Compare the Northern and Southern states, discover the concepts of due process and equal protection, and understand how the former Confederate states reacted to the Reconstruction Amendments.
Partner Resources for this Lesson Plan include:
Students will be able to...
- Identify the division of the U.S. at the outbreak of the Civil War.
- Describe the expansion of civil rights and liberties in the Civil War/Reconstruction Period.
- Explain the purposes of the due process and equal protection clauses of the 14th Amendment.
- Identify the different perspectives on slavery during the Civil War period.
- Determine the differences between the Presidential and Congressional plans for Reconstruction.
Resources for this lesson are available in print and digital form. A free teacher account is required to access them. Log in or register below.