Students learn that they are citizens at many levels of society: home, school, city, state, and nation! Students create a graphic organizer that diagrams rights and responsibilities at these different levels of citizenship. They also learn the sources of their rights and responsibilities at each level. This lesson stands alone or may be used to reinforce the iCivics game Responsibility Launcher. We also recommend following with the iCivics lesson, "The Global You."
Got a 1:1 classroom? Download fillable PDF versions of this lesson's materials below!
Students will be able to...
- Define citizenship on five levels (home, school, city, state, nation).
- Describe key rights and responsibilities of citizens.
- Identify the source of rights and responsibilities at each level of citizenship.
- Recognize conflict between rights and responsibilities.
- Suggest examples of the rights and responsibilities of citizenship in their own lives.