Bethel School District v. Fraser (1986)
This mini-lesson covers the basics of the Supreme Court's decision that established a school's ability to prohibit inappropriate student language on campus. Students learn about the First Amendment right of free speech, and explore the many different ways the Supreme Court has interpreted it.
- Describe the rights protected by the First Amendment
- Identify the main arguments put forth in the case
- Describe the rationale behind the Supreme Court's decision
- Identify different types of speech that are protected by the First Amendment
- Evaluate the impact of the Supreme Court's decision on the issue of student expression at school and individuals' rights
Resources for this lesson are available in print and digital form. A free teacher account is required to access them. Log in or register below.