Woman Suffrage and World War I
Students will learn how World War I impacted the woman suffrage movement. Sources will show how suffragists promoted woman suffrage as a war measure, how women’s roles expanded during the war and how suffragists used the stated purpose for fighting the war— fighting for democracy— to fight for this same right at home. The sources will also show how the tactics suffragists used varied and influenced public opinion both positively and negatively.
But wait there's more! Use our women's suffrage infographic A Movement in the Right Direction and our WebQuest Movement and Action: The Women's Suffrage Movement to learn more about the civic tactics suffragists employed.
- Use evidence from informational texts to support analysis and answer questions
- Integrate visual materials with text sources
- Describe how World War I provided an opportunity for the woman suffrage movement
- Identify a variety of sources and their purpose
- Draw on several sources and consider questions that allow for multiple avenues of exploration
- Describe the different arguments suffragists used to promote woman suffrage through World War I