Each slide includes a link and a set of questions. Use the companion worksheet in the Bias lesson materials to give students a place to note their answers. (They can write them in the answer space on each slide, too, but there isn’t an easy way for you to download/compile those answers in My iCivics.)
- Whole-class option: Project the Web Activity in your classroom and work through the slides together as a class.
- Individual option: Allow students to work through the slides individually or in pairs.
Students will be able to...
- Define and describe common types of bias found in the news
- Recognize journalists’ tools that combat bias
- Analyze word choices that reveal bias
- Analyze a story’s framing for bias
- Compare how different news outlets have framed the same issue