Municipal Government (HS)
From large cities to small villages, municipal governments serve as the closest form of government to the American people. In this lesson, students will explore the varied functions and structures of local government as well as explore the services provided in their own municipality and beyond.They will also learn about the impact of rapid economic growth and decline in one northern oil town.
This resource was created with support from the National Association of Counties.
- Identify the organizational structures and duties of municipal government
- Describe the types of services municipalities provide
- Compare municipality revenue sources including grants, block grants, and bonds
- Identify the purpose and benefits of special districts
- Differentiate between weak and strong mayor plans of municipal government
- Identify local government as an ideal opportunity for citizen engagement