The iCivics team is on a big mission: to revolutionize the way students learn about U.S. government and civil society. This is an exceptional opportunity for a hands-on leader to play a significant role in realizing this mission. The Deputy Director will report to and partner closely with the Executive Director and will be charged with strengthening and leading an effective, collaborative, and scalable operational model for the entire organization. S/he will be charged with leading the organization through its next phase of innovation and development, managing a three-person leadership team, and providing best-in class coaching and development. To thrive in this position, you will be resourceful, adept at thinking strategically, and able to translate plans into action. You must be excited about jumping into a growing team with a results-oriented, startup culture.
Who We Are
Founded by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor to reverse the decline in civic education and engagement, iCivics has become a leader in digital learning. We are a growing non-profit that develops innovative games, lesson plans, and other interactive resources to prepare middle and high school students for informed participation in American democracy. Our first generation product platform provides teachers with free resources aligned to standards, and has been recognized through awards from the MacArthur Foundation, Gates Foundation, Common Sense Media, and the American Library Association. We are committed to keeping our program effective and relevant for the more than 70,000 educators and five million students who rely on iCivics annually.
What We Offer
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, iCivics provides an excellent compensation and benefits package competitive with positions requiring similar skills and experience. iCivics compensation and benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and generous paid time off, pre-tax transit program, and a friendly work environment.
This role will report directly to the Director of Development as well as work closely with the Executive Director. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Donor management and stewardship:
• Tracks all donor and donor-related activity and drafts acknowledgements of support.
• In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Director of Development, manages donor relationships through prospecting, solicitation, stewardship, and general follow-up activities.
• Maintains a donor management calendar to ensure the timely submission of requests, proposals, reports, updates, and other communications.
• Produces reports from development systems to support communication and reporting needs.
Grant writing and reporting:
• Provides project management oversight to ensure successful submission of grant applications and reports.
• Writes and edits grant proposals and reports as needed. Maintains standard language for grant applications.
• Manages or supports other fundraising- and revenue-related projects and activities as needed.
Event Planning and Coordination:
• Assists in the design and conceptualization of iCivics development events.
• Acts as the project manager for iCivics events to ensure successful implementation. Project management tasks include: invitations, setting up catering, entertainment, location planning and booking, program planning, follow-up, travel and related services Provides General Communications Support
• Oversees the development and distribution of iCivics’ organizational publications, including brochures and the annual report.
• Drafts donor communications in accordance with our stewardship plans including general communication to our prospective donor lists.
• Bachelor’s degree with 1-3+ years successful experience in development or related field
• Experience in education or teaching preferred
• Strong communication, interpersonal, and writing skills
• Strong organizational skills and thorough attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team
• Previous experience drafting grant proposals and reports
• Experience with fundraising software such as DonorPerfect, Raiser’s Edge, etc.
• Experience planning events
• Energetic and willing to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of fundraising activities
• Commitment to collaboration, transparency, and diversity
• Strong interest for the mission of iCivics; commitment to informing and engaging the next generation of citizens
• Sense of humor and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
Web Development Intern
We are looking for a web developer intern to help maintain and improve the iCivics experience. The iCivics team is on a big mission: to revolutionize the way students learn about American government and civil society. As the Web Developer Intern, you will work closely with the Principal Engineer, Programming Team, and our 3rd party partner Filament Games to contribute to full-stack application codebase to add impactful new features for our users. To thrive in this position, you must have a keen interest in developing robust and performant web applications.
• Contribute to iCivics codebase, tools, frameworks and the overall Web experience
• Make modifications to the site based to organization’s priorities
• Gain understanding of the iCivics codebase and deployment environment
• Help with ongoing optimization of the application and day to day maintenance of the site and cloud infrastructure
• Experience with developing web application in a dynamic language (such as PHP, Python and Ruby)
• Working knowledge of SQL and at least one Relational Database (such as MySQL)
• Familiarity with a CMS (such as Drupal, Wordpress or Jumla)
• Working knowledge of Linux
Nice to Have:
• Familiarity with software development best practices and methodologies
• Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator
• Interest in online gaming and educational technology
• Passionate about technology
Send your resume, cover letter, and two relevant writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name and the job title in the subject line of your email. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, we are only able to make personal contact with individuals invited for interviews. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you to schedule a convenient date and time.
iCivics has offices in Boston, MA and Washington DC. This position will work out of Boston. iCivics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or political or other viewpoint in making any employment decisions.